December 14, 2008

A quiet week

Hello everyone!!! We hope friends and family are feeling well back home by the time they read this blog. It seems like every time I spoke with someone this week either they were ill or had family that was.

Unfortunately, we were not safe or immune from illness in Germany. Henry got a fever on Thursday, which was relieved with Tylenol, and had a slight cough, but had no other complaints. By Friday afternoon, his fever was worse and not as easily remedied with Tylenol or Motrin. His regular pediatrician was closed, so we headed out for the Heidelberg Kinderklink, an acute care center for children. Since I have already vented at great lengths about this experience to family and friends, I will spare everyone else, but let me tell you, socialized medicine is defiantly not the solution for our health care problems in the US. Anyway, after almost 3 hours of waiting, he was diagnosed with an ear infection and prescribed an antibiotic, which I had to take home and mix myself, thank goodness for my nursing background.

We had planned to venture out to neighboring communities for more Christmas markets and have a small birthday celebration for Henry this weekend, but his illness changed our plans. We had a quiet weekend at home, Henry and I did not leave the house once, which was kind of nice.

As I mentioned, Henry's 3rd birthday is Tuesday!!! John and I were discussing how the last three years have flown by and how much has happened since we have been married. Two moves, one international, a baby, a new degree for me, new positions at Deere for John, and another baby on the way. Life is anything but dull.

Since Henry was feeling under the weather this weekend, we let him open a birthday present early, below are a couple of photos with his new fire truck from Papa and Nana. What a hit. Thank you to all for all of the Birthday wishes.





As I write this, our family is getting ready for the Hanfeld Family Christmas party in Wiscosin. It is also our Uncle Bill's birthday today. Have a great time, travel safely, and we will be there next year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment