April 5, 2009

A Busy Week

This has been a busy week for the Archers. The weather has been absolutely wonderful in Germany (finally). The sun has been out everyday since we returned home from the hospital and the temps have been in the upper 60's and low 70's. Bea is doing great. She is growing so fast, I cannot believe she is almost two weeks old already!! Henry loves his sister, but is even happier about Papa and Nana being here. Everyday when he goes to school he asks them if they will be here when he gets home. He started spring break this week, so he will have the next two weeks off to be with them.

Here is a recap of our week....

Last weekend there was a cute little carnival just a couple of blocks from our house. Although it was small, it was the perfect size for someone Henry's age. My Dad and John took Henry once and then John and I took Henry back for more fun. Henry and John had fun on the bumper cars and also found some yummy treats along the way.

John had to return to work on Monday, so we stayed close to home. My Mom, Bea and I went shopping downtown Heidelberg while my Dad hung out with Henry. As I mentioned above, the weather could not have been nicer, so we did a lot of walking and outdoor exploring.

On Tuesday my Mom, Bea and I went downtown Mannheim for more shopping. John met us for lunch at a local restaurant and later that day he was able to squeeze in 9 holes of golf. Mom, Dad, Henry, Bea and I took the tram downtown Heidelberg later that evening for pizza. Another day full of walking and fun. Later that evening we had a nice visit from another JD family.

On Wednesday I had my HCSC (Heidelberg Community Spouse's Club) monthly luncheon. This is an event I always look forward to and wanted my Mom to join me, so the three of us (we took Bea) went for an afternoon of entertainment, shopping and fun. Several different vendors come to the luncheons and sell merchandise such as jewelry, purses, pottery, linens and various other items. We had a great time, and Bea was the star of the show.

On Thursday I wanted to show my Mom Germany's "American Style" mall (yes, more shopping), so we spent the day browsing around a mall in a neighboring town. My Mom loves all of the shoe stores here - it seems every other store is a shoe store. Later that day I had an appointment with my doctor, so my Mom and Bea tagged along. Dr. Lieder was happy to see Bea doing so well and my Mom was interested to see the differences between office visits in Germany compared to those in the States. Our good friend Molly and her daughter Lucy came to visit later that night.

Finally, on Friday we set off for Trier. Trier is the oldest city in Germany and also is home the Trier Cathedral which houses the Holy Tunic, the robe Jesus was wearing when he died. Trier is also an old stomping ground for my Dad. When he was in the Air Force nearly 45 years ago, he was stationed in Spangdahlem, Germany, a small town 30 minutes from Trier - he and his friends visited Trier to "sight see" once in a while. Later that day we drove to Spangdahlem. Although he did not recognize much of the town, we enjoyed the visit and the drive was spectacular.

On Saturday we took Henry to the Heidelberg Zoo. We enjoyed the sunshine, walking, visiting the animals and the beautiful flowers in bloom.

Below are many pictures from our week.

I will blog more in a couple of days. Thanks for all of your well wishes, we will be home for a visit soon.




1 comment:

  1. I LOVED visiting! I can't wait to see more of you guys! Take care and SOO glad all is going well for you guys! MISS YOU!! You guys are such a great lookin family! Glad to have some great friends from good 'ol Iowa!

    ReplyDelete